Partial View

The obligatory blog.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Friday Random Ten: Autumn is Definitely Here Edition

1. "Come On, Israel"--Belleville A Cappella Choir, Southern Journey Volume 11 (Alan Lomax, ed.).
2. "Criss-Cross"--Thelonius Monk, The Composer.
3. "Matchbox"--Carl Perkins, Best of Sun Records Vol. I. Another shout-out to my colleague AW.
4. "Blues in the South"--Louis Armstrong, Blues for Yesterday.
5. "Joe Friday"--Alvin Youngblood Hart, Big Mama's Door. I don't know how Jack Webb would feel about this one.
6. If You Don't I Know Who Will"--Bessie Smith, Complete Recordings Volume I.
7. "Miss Monaghan / Maggie On the Shore (Reels)"--Matt Molloy & Arty McGlynn, Music at Matt Malloy's.
8. "People Will Say We're in Love"--Ray Charles and Betty Carter, Ray Charles and Betty Carter. Wow, that's smooth.
9. "The End"--The Doors, Best of. I love the hypnotic guitar work, but who has time to listen to 11 minutes of Jim Morrison rambling?
10. "A Song For"--Townes Van Zandt, No Deeper Blue.

And #11, because it comports with today's bluesy theme:

"In the Hidden Places"--The Mountain Goats, Get Lonely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home